In November, The Yard will present award-winning artist Lanre Malaolu’s SAMSKARA, an explosive fusion of physical theatre, hip-hop dance and text that moves through joy and suffering, laughter and longing to explore vulnerability, fatherhood and masculinity. Inspired by real-life testimony, SAMSKARA explores what it means to be a Black man in 21st Century Britain.
As part of SAMSKARA, The Yard is bringing together a group of young people to create a BLACK EXCELLENCE AT NIGHTTIME EVENT.
We want to support the producers and programmers of the future to get some real world experience working in the creative industries by throwing an evening to remember at The Yard. Working with Lanre, an industry professional and The Yard team, this group will design, develop and deliver an incredible nighttime event at The Yard Theatre.
Over two months, you’ll learn real-world producing skills whilst building connections with new friends and brilliant artists. You’ll develop an understanding of how professional events are run and created and get a behind-the-scenes look at a spectacular new show, all while creating an event to be really proud of. And best part is, it’s completely free.
This is YOUR night and we can’t wait to see what you’ll do with it.
HOW TO APPLY
- Cost: FREE.
- Dates: October – November, look at the information pack for details.
- Location: Hub67, 67 Rothbury Road, E95HA Hackney Wick.
If there’s anything that you’re unsure of, please don’t hesitate to contact The Yard’s Local Coordinator, Holly on email (email@example.com) or text/call/WhatsApp: 07523298482.
- Ages 16-21.
- We are particularly keen to hear from young Black people and Tower Hamlets residents.
- No previous experience necessary, just an interest in the project.
- All workshop spaces are wheelchair accessible.
- If you have disability access needs, get in touch and we can discuss what support we can offer.
- We have two bursaries of £530 to support participants who would otherwise need to be working to support themselves or their family.
- Travel expenses available.
If you have any access needs please email firstname.lastname@example.org